Monday, August 1, 2011

Dessert Refusal

Sinikka, the Dessert Refuser, Richard
The unfathomable has happened. The Hubby refused my dessert! He says it's because he's on a diet and wants to lose weight. He's even given up drinking for a few months in an attempt to shed pounds. The precipitating event for this incredible lapse in judgement is that the Hubby just got a road bike. For those of you who don't know road bikes, the more you pay for the bike, the lighter the bike. So you can go faster. And the Hubby likes to go fast. He just thought it didn't make sense that he would pay all this money to get a light bike but then neutralize all the benefit by carrying an extra 20 lbs on his body. It probably didn't help that he couldn't find a pair of road shoes that fit. The store is ordering in a special pair. In size Mega Wide.


Me and my father-in-law
Now the Hubby might have crazy ideas but he's still considerate. He did ask me if I would mind if he didn't eat my dessert. I told him I definitely would mind. I told him I wouldn't be able to trust him (see sidebar About Me). No it doesn't matter that we've been married for many years and I've never had reason not to trust him before. He's never refused my dessert before! I try not to take it personally but, like most things that involve people who are important to me, it's impossible. I don't know why I have such an issue about my desserts. But I do. I can't stop myself from thinking that unless you're allergic to it, or it's going to make you sick in some way, that you should at least try a little bit of it. Just because you know how important it is to me.
My dad and Sinikka: Trusted dessert eaters




Sinikka doesn't usually eat dessert. But she eats MY dessert. She always asks for "just a sliver" but at least she still eats it. That's devotion. 








The Adolescent, Scarlett, and the Beamer


My sister eats my desserts. She eats all my whip cream and butter-ladened creations and she's lactose intolerant! That's loyalty.


My dad eats my desserts. He'd better. He's the one who got me hooked on them in the first place.

So for the Hubby, my previously most loyal supporter, not to eat my dessert: that's mutiny!







The Hubby did manage to eat the other things I made for the dinner with our extended family. Green Shawarma Salmon was marinated in an easy and delicious sauce of fresh cilantro, garlic, and spices.








Fingerling Potato Salad can be made ahead and served at room temperature which is always useful when you're trying to put a big dinner on the table with everything served at the right temperature at the same time. Leeks and mustard seed made it very flavourful.







For dessert Berry Cobbler is served warm with vanilla ice cream.


Ready for grilling brushed with olive oil

The Hubby said the meal was delicious. But, as I can no longer trust him, who knows for sure?!









No comments:

Post a Comment