Friday, October 28, 2011

Croissants

I am at risk to chicken out so I'm proclaiming it here. I'm going to make croissants. In the movie "It's Complicated", Meryl Streep's character takes Steve Martin's character to her bakery shop. She offers to make him anything off the menu and he chooses a chocolate croissant. So she makes him one. Just like that. This is my inspiration.


Have I ever made croissants before? No. Do I know what it involves? No. But I just looked at a recipe and that's why I'm on the brink of clamping my hands over my mouth so no more foolishness passes these lips. So many steps. Lots of chilling, turning, rolling, rising. It will take all day. Or more. Is it going to be worth it? Langdon Hall is only an hour's drive away from Toronto. The pastry chef there makes the most delicious croissants and pain au chocolate. Crispy on the outside. Light and tender but full of substance on the inside. I ate TWO every day on my recent getaway there with the Hubby. Every morning we debated. Do we eat them first when we're hungry so we can fully savour them? Or do we eat them last and relish the anticipation? I chose to eat mine first. Just as I choose to eat vegetables last. If you wait (and this applies to a lot of things in life) fate might intervene and take away your opportunity.

I don't know when I'll get the urge to actually do it. I anticipate it will be on a cold grey winter's day. Ideally a cold grey day THIS winter. There's always the risk that I might successfully distract myself with my other recently formulated learning goals: Twitter and Pool (the kind with the balls and long stick). So if the outside patios reopen, I can beat you at pool, and still no tweet has been sent from my croissant-making kitchen, please be sure to remind me of this post!


No comments:

Post a Comment