Sunday, April 29, 2012

Vegetarian Birthday Dinner

Cooking vegetarian is not in my comfort zone. I don't know why. I eat vegetables. I cook vegetables. I even bake with vegetables at times. Maybe it's something to do with not having the choice. Maybe having no other option but to use vegetables sets my control issues on high alert. For whatever reason, planning for a vegetarian meal always feels like an extraordinary feat.

The Adolescent, the Daughter, the Beamer, Paolo

This weekend's dinner is to celebrate the April birthdays of 3 of my beloved people: Mary, the Adolescent, and the Hubby. Or as the Hubby will be affectionately called in today's post: Mush for Brains. Mush for Brains is nearing the end of "tax season" and it seems that mush is about all he has left up there for things that are not tax returns. For 2 months of the year he works all day, into the wee hours of the night, and on weekends. The tax returns he completes are things of beauty but everything else is hit and miss. His patience is shot. His memory is in tatters. He falls asleep at the table in the middle of a dinner party! Luckily the heart does not appear to be dependent on a well-working brain. Mush for Brain's heart continues to be large and loving. (Read about MFB`s birthday last year)

Wild Mushroom Parcels in front of a photo of Black Pepper Tofu from Plenty cookbook
For this weekend's dinner I must plan a feast that doesn't include meat (Mary), nuts (Mike), eggs or cheese (Paolo). I scour through my recipe files. Everything good I've already made or contains one of the forbidden ingredients. I buy a vegetarian cookbook: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi. It's gorgeous and inspiring. I decide on Wild Mushroom Parcels which are appropriately gift-like for a birthday dinner. A mixture of shitake, oyster, and cremini mushrooms along with fresh tarragon give the dish a subtle licorice taste. Mary is touched. She recognizes the effort. She is especially appreciative of the fact that I even cooked at all! (Read about Mary`s birthday last year)

Inside the Wild Mushroom Parcels


Mush for Brains grills a few steaks for the die hard carnivores among us. To balance all this Meat I must also make "meat". What's the deal with tofu? Tasteless, odourless, and pasty white. I don't even know where to find it in the supermarket! Is it vegetable? "meat"? dairy? eggs? But all is forgiven with Black Pepper Tofu from Plenty cookbook. The tofu is smothered in garlic, chilies, ginger, shallots, and soy sauce and it's delicious! Paolo who apparently doesn't like tofu gobbles it up.

Blowing out the birthday candles

Finally it's time for the reason why I eat all the other stuff. So I can get to dessert. The birthday cake is Frozen Lemon Meringue Cake. This cake will definitely be added to my repetoire. Layers of meringue, lemon curd, and vanilla ice cream are frozen and then, just before serving, softened in the fridge. It is cool, tart, sweet, velvety, crunchy, and lush. Lemon heaven! Paolo eats THREE pieces! And he usually doesn't like meringue (it's made from eggs you know). There are no leftovers.

Frozen Lemon Meringue Cake

One dinner out of my comfort zone, three new recipes tried with great success, one amazing birthday cake, and three beloved people celebrated in the best way I know how.


No comments:

Post a Comment