Monday, June 25, 2012

Comings and Goings

The Adolescent
As much as the Adolescent's antics give me grief, I am surprisingly sad that he has just gone off to camp for the summer. He is a junior counselor at the camp where he has been a camper for many years. I'm not going to see him until the end of August! I really can't believe I'm feeling this but I miss him! To make myself feel better I try and remember all the aggravation he's caused me this year. But even that doesn't make me miss him less!


Blueberry Pancakes



I make him Blueberry Pancakes on the morning of his departure. So he'll remember why he should come home.









Brothers enjoying a goodbye hug







Although it doesn't look it from this face, the Beamer is really going to miss his brother too!
 

Even the Hubby is feeling sentimental!











The Adolescent has been thinking a lot these past few months about what he would like to do for his future career. It's come down to two things of equal interest. He wants to be an astrophysicist. And he wants to be rich. Seriously?! What the heck does an astrophysicist do anyway? And hasn't he been listening when I tell him that to be Rich in LOVE is what he should be striving for in life?! I suggest he get some books to read during downtime at camp. I'm thinking Hunger Games or something of that nature. He packs A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, Cosmos by Carl Sagan, Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. Who is this boy?!


The Daughter, Claire, Charlotte, me
Charlotte and Claire have come from France for a visit. Charlotte lived with us for 3 months in 2006. Now she has come for her first visit back and has brought her younger sister Claire. Claire has never been on an airplane before! She eats corn on the cob for the first time! Their visit highlights yet again how little I cook. I vow to not let them leave this country again with a skewed view of how Canadians cook and eat.




Glass Noodle Salad with Edamame



Amidst all these comings and goings I have the strange and untimely urge to make a feast for Father's Day a couple of weeks back.












Asparagus Mimosa with capers and hard boiled egg

I make three dishes I've never tried before from the vegetarian cookbook Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi.













Four Fathers - The Hubby, my Dad, Brian, and Richard


Lots of cooking and lots of eating leads to lots of cleaning up. Unbelievably, the dishwasher breaks. The groaning and complaining from the children when they realize they might have to wash a dish reminds me of yet another way I've failed as a parent. The only weapon left in the Kitchen Mess arsenal is the Hubby...but it's FATHER'S DAY! I struggle with a dilemma of conscience...






Did he or didn't he have to wash dishes on Father's Day???
The only outcome that you need to know is that THIS weekend we use paper plates and disposable glasses. I feel guilty about the waste but apparently my conscience can only deal with so much.
 










The family welcomes Charlotte and Claire

For Charlotte and Claire's dinner with my family I make Hamburgers. I read an article that the secret to the best burger ever is the ratio of meat to fat which should be 80% meat to 20% fat. The ground beef I get is 85/15 and it is excellent. Another thing I learn is that a great burger doesn't need any seasoning other than salt and pepper. No onion, no worcestershire sauce, no egg or breadcrumbs. Just some really great condiments and a good bun. The burgers are delicious and relieve my guilt just a bit!


The Comings are always something to anticipate and enjoy. But dealing with the Goings has never been my strength. I will likely get used to having the Adolescent away for the summer. I will likely learn to enjoy the peace and quiet that is only possible in a home without an Adolescent in it. I will in time find another motivation for baking. But until then, I will savour the unfamiliar feeling of missing the Adolescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment