Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Pizza of Summer

In the garden
I'm exhausted trying to appreciate summer. Summer is usually almost gone before I've realized that it's finally here. The date this realization hits me varies from year to year but it always hits me at some point.This year it happened 3 days ago.









Fruits of summer


I wait all year for summer. I love summer. I love warm steamy nights, eating outside, iced drinks, and Ontario produce. I love the sound of flip flops and screen doors at cottages. I love sunglasses and sunscreen.

I'm committed to summer being fully appreciated.

But full appreciation takes a lot of work.


Me and the Daughter dining outside




This feeling first hits me on Thursday. That night, we go out to dinner and sit on a restaurant patio. I am happy.















Friday dawns hot and bright. I decide to be spontaneous and invite friends for dinner that night AND the next. I must be suffering from heat stroke! In my mind's eye is the beer commercial fantasy of a summer barbeque with laughing beautiful people. That's what I'm aiming for. Never mind that on this particular day in Toronto a heat record of 37C is set. It's smoking hot! Friday night I make everyone stay outside all evening. They keep glancing wistfully at the house where it is nice and cool inside. Suck it up people! What's a little sweat running down our backs? What's a few mosquito bites? It's going to be winter soon!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Saturday morning we wake up ridiculously early but I'm happy to so we can do a 60 km cycle before the heat sets in. Waking up this early on a weekend is something I would only consider doing in the summer. But of course things never usually go exactly as planned. Literally the exact moment the Hubby's foot passes over the door frame there is a crack of thunder. The Hubby takes a second step toward the beautiful summer morning waiting to be enjoyed. Another crack of thunder. Then a downpour. Seriously?! We end up at a spin class, indoors, where the sun don't shine.    

The Hubby, Mary, and Mike creating pizza

Saturday night The Vegetarian (Mary) and Mike come over. I discover that as a general rule vegetarian food is not barbeque-able. I decide to make pizzas.


Toppings for the pizza

The barbeque is out of gas and the Hubby doesn't think the pizza stone will fit in it anyway. So it's pizza made inside in the oven. The pizza stone must preheat in the oven for one hour at 550F. This is almost as bad as me wearing a sweater and having my heater on in my office during the heat wave. I buy pre-made dough. I feel authentic as I hand form it into the pizza shell. Olive oil is drizzled on the shell. Then we add combinations of Robiola, fresh mozzarella, parmesan, sliced garlic, sliced red onion, fresh arugula, basil, and oregano, and prosciutto (for the meat eaters). Sprinkle with sea salt.


The finished pie
Under the broiler for about 8 minutes and it's done. The pie is gorgeous.

Ontario berries, ice cream and Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert. The Hubby is unduly impressed that I can create chocolate chip cookies, just like that, in the time it takes him to get a couple of forgotten items at the store.

It's the end of the weekend. Thank goodness! I'm exhausted. The Hubby complains that my pile of unread magazines is getting higher and higher and threatens to qualify me for hoarder status. I don't have time to read, I'm too busy trying to eat outside!

I have successfully maximized summer this weekend. I am appreciative. 



No comments:

Post a Comment