Sunday, February 13, 2011

Euchre Night




The Hubby is a proud man today. His chest is a little puffier. He's standing a little taller. He's trying not to talk too much about his supreme accomplishment but it's an effort for him not to. I think secretly he'd like to start a focus group: Marveling at My Amazing Feat. The Hubby won the most points at Euchre Night. Out of 16 people, all of them (although this is a subject of great debate) excellent players. And I believe he did it without too much annoying of others. Last year, at the first annual event, I lost count of how many people came up to me to complain about how annoying the Hubby was. Suck it up people, this is my life! Not one person complained to me this year. He was trying hard to not be annoying. I think he was trying to be more like Paul. Last year Paul won.

Paul receiving his prize last year

Paul is quiet in our group, a keen observer. Last year he didn't get involved in being annoyed by the Hubby, just concentrated on winning. So this year the Hubby was intent on unseating Paul. I think Paul's mistake this year was that he and Sabina didn't wear their lucky slippers. Paul, take note: if something works, don't change it!

Extreme euchre players

Now because we were the hosts, it didn't seem right for the Hubby to take the first prize so it went to the next highest score who was still standing at the end of the night. Last year first prize was a bottle of wine from the Hubby's wine cellar. So this year, Paul, the winner from last year, provided the bottle. Trevor won the first place prize. I think he was starting to doubt the positives of winning when Paul told him that the bottle should be laid down for a few years before drinking. And then he found out that he now had to bring the wine for first prize next year. It's the STATUS of winning and ADMIRATION of others that's the real prize, Trevor!

Trevor, on the extreme left, is on the cusp of status and admiration

I love Euchre Night. All that's required food-wise is to put out lots of little bowls of munchies. This I can do! Potato chips, chocolate covered almonds, guacamole and tortilla chips, nuts. We ordered in a platter of sushi and then tried to keep Geoff from inhaling it before anyone else had a chance to get near.

Geoff all by himself eating sushi

I made desserts.This is my idea of entertaining! Coffee Crunch Bars. Lemon cream sandwich cookies. Cocoa brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts. Recipes can be found at Recipes - Desserts

Desserts

As the Hubby said once in one of his (only) metaphorical moments: Life is a euchre game. I'm not quite sure what that means. Perhaps: Stop annoying people and you win??? Please weigh in...




3 comments:

  1. hi

    Finally managed to get on.
    First-thank you to both you and your hubby (who by the way has never annoyed me-in fact nobody's hubby has ever annoyed me-which makes me think that maybe the only hubbys that can annoy us are our own)who put on a fab evening as usual. You are truly wonderfuly host and hostess.
    Second, I think you shouldn't stick to a good thing because that basically means no change and if we can't change our slippers-what can we change?
    Third, the desserts were divine-as you know I am almost as partial to chocolate as I am to lemon so the brownies (Bonnie Stern by any chance?) and the lemon cookies (need receipe please) were WONDERFUL.
    xo
    last years winners wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other people's husbands regularly annoy me.

    ReplyDelete