Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Scarlett

Today is Scarlett's 8th birthday. Scarlett was born in China to parents who we don't know and never will. But if by any chance they ever read this I want them to know how so very grateful I am to them for making me an aunt to Scarlett.

Scarlett

Scarlett likes to hang out with me. Like she just knows something wonderful will come her way by sticking close. Usually what comes her way is my request to put the leftovers in the fridge which IS something wonderful to Scarlett. 

Every time Scarlett has dinner at my house she asks hopefully what's for dessert. She's hoping against hope that dessert is something that she can decorate with sprinkles. So many beautiful desserts I've served that have had the benefit of extreme sprinkling.

It is the best feeling to walk down the street holding hands with Scarlett as she jumps and twirls and skips beside me.
 
Scarlett and I went out for lunch once. She requested to go to a sushi restaurant. Pinch me! She ordered fish roe. She made me a holder to rest my chopsticks on from the paper wrapper, the way her dad taught her.

Scarlett's parents

She has an amazing sense of style. She's chosen what clothes she wants to wear ever since, well, ever since she could. She puts colours and patterns together in ways that you don't think can possibly go together. But it always works. She usually wears dresses or skirts. She's a master of layering. She has lots of gorgeous sweaters hand knit by her "Ma", her dad's mom. Her other grandparents Gung Gung and Sinikka gave her two more beautiful dresses for this birthday.

Sinikka and Gung Gung


She is a loving and generous cousin to the Beamer. She lets him drool on her. She doesn't get mad when he pulls her hair. She hugs and kisses him as much as she can. She knows he loves her too.

Mom and her accomplishment

In honour of her birthday, my sister made a cake. I worried about the Cake all week, really really hoping it would not be another Rock Cake. My sister made an amaretto cake. It's moist and tender and delicious. Everything a cake should be. Nicely done Sis! I will try really really hard never to mention that Other Cake again.


Happy Birthday Scarlett! So glad you were born.

3 comments:

  1. I am honoured to be Scarlett's Mom and Gastronome's sister and baker of different textured cakes!!! Thank you for your kind and loving words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Cooking involved and possibly your best post yet! 8 is an awesome age..your fun with Scarlett is only beginning. Very lovingly written Gastro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Scarlett,
    You are very lucky to have such a wonderful Auntie. I wish you a life full of layers (cakes dresses and otherwise)

    ReplyDelete