Sunday, April 10, 2011

Michael's a Happy Guy

Michael loves his family, he likes his job, he appreciates what a luxury it is to spend lots of time at his beautiful cottage. He's a glass-half-full kind of guy. He has no angst. He experiences little discontent. I, of course, cannot believe this to be true. I recently ask him if there's any part of himself that he doesn't like? He looks at me like I'm an alien. He can't answer the question. He can't relate. He doesn't think this way. It makes me wonder if life would be more enjoyable from this perspective?

On his birthday Michael has a perfect day. He goes for a 40km bike ride, he sits in the hot tub, has a nap, watches the Masters tournament, and then has a birthday party. Part of his happiness, I'm sure, is that he has Susan in his life, collecting the recipes that he gathers for her. Susan has organized the party and given it the perfect theme for Michael: Cottage Life.

Paul, Bruce, Michael (the Birthday Guy), Geoff, Jon, the Hubby

The Hubby takes great care in dressing for the party. And we wonder why no one invites us to their cottage...?!

Susan and the Hubby whose muscles are too big to fit in the frame of the photo


I believe this outfit is a metaphor for how the Hubby lives life. But this is a posting for another day.

Sabina and Sarah are very impressed with the Hubby's pipes

At the party I do my usual research of men who meet all 3 criteria in my definition of the Perfect Man. Up until now I haven't come across One. But tonight I finally do. Ross scores a perfect 3 out of 3. Those who know him are incredulous. They make me devise additional criteria which they are certain will rule him out. But he even aces the bonus points. There is murmuring that he's lip-synching the answers. He wishes his wife had come so she can witness this surprising revelation.

Bruce, Ross (a Perfect Man), Randy, and me.

Luckily for me, and for my faithful readers who are so regularly disappointed that I once again have not cooked a single thing, Susan has made Roasted Shrimp Cocktail and Guacamole . These are delicious and easy appetizers that are standards at their cottage. She even made the dipping sauce that goes with the shrimp. It's way tastier than anything you can buy in the store. I, for one, am impressed.

Roasted Shrimp
Michael continues to be happy all night long. It may be that it's his birthday. It may be that he's drinking a fine old scotch. It may be that his friends have gathered to cheer his birth. It's definitely not because he's a Perfect Man because he only scored 2 out of 3. But it may be that he's found the trick to happiness.

The Trick to Happiness

Happy Birthday Michael!






3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Michael! What a lovely evening that reflects who your are. I think Lydia should give all you guys a perfect 3 on your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friend, it's not up to ME to determine people's scores. It's whether they meet the criteria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At what point do you share the criteria so that all your faithful readers can compare themselves, or their partners, to Ross?

    ReplyDelete