Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ride to Conquer Cancer

I'm training for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. It's a 200km cycle from Toronto to Niagara Falls in June to raise money for research at Princess Margaret Hospital. I'm riding to honour my sister who was diagnosed with a sarcoma 2 1/2 years ago and still today struggles to feel strong and invincible once again. I'm also riding to honour my friend Jennifer who died 6 years ago this month from breast cancer.

The training has not been going as well as I would like it to. The main culprit is the weather which has not cooperated in the least. It's generally still cold and wet.


Look closely and you can see the rain dripping off my face


This will be my 4th ride outside. I'm not feeling confident enough yet to go on my own. I'm a member of a team. The concept of the team is to train together and support each other. I need my team! I need support! But there's no support today. A little cold, a little wind, a little rain and they have deserted me. I am alone. My only hope is the Hubby. He really doesn't want to come. He'd rather play Zombies. But he comes with me anyway. Hard to believe he only has 1 1/4 out of 3 of the criteria in my definition of the Perfect Man.

We start off in the gusting wind. It starts to rain. It turns to sleet. Then it's actually snowing. My tire goes flat. The Hubby can't believe he gave up Zombies for this?!

The Hubby is changing my flat

Have you ever bought a new bike from a bike shop? You go in thinking that it's all about the bike but you soon realize it's about so much more. It's the same feeling I get at Mountain Equipment Co-op and at a kitchenware store. There are so many things that you never knew you needed. Things that will keep you warm and dry or just make your life so much easier. I now have shoe covers, arm warmers, knee warmers, a wireless speed and distance monitor, a tire change kit. I have all these items on my person or on my bike today. Am I warm, dry, or at ease??? Not in the least. We barely make it home. We're wet and cold. And starving!
It doesn't matter how you feel, it's how you look!

After a ride the challenge is renewing energy. I hate spending the rest of the day falling asleep whenever I sit down. Today I make a peach, mango, and banana smoothie. Sometimes I put in protein powder of which we have tons since the Adolescent uses it after pumping up his muscles. Today it's just yogurt for protein. The Hubby makes us a ham, red pepper and cheese frittata.

Lunch is ready

Despite the challenges, I'm glad we went out for the ride today. I'm intent on experiencing every one of the 200km of the actual Ride and this also means experiencing all the preparation leading up to it.

Here's to you Sis!

And Jennifer, I know if you could see me, you'd be laughing and shaking your head in amazement at what's become of me! Miss you.







3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you this morning, checking the weather forecast and then just looking out the window at the unbelievable weather! All three of us watched as the imaginary snowflakes got bigger and heavier! Forget the emerging tulips and crocuses - what about the bikers in training, we cried?!!! We are very proud of your persistence, spirit and plain stubborness!!! You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was wet, cold and miserable! But, incredibly, the whole experience was a lot of fun. Hopefully the next training ride will be warmer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING-what an inspiration you both are-we are all so proud. I might have to dust off the bike and join you for a bit one weekend....
    well maybe - if it is nice and sunny
    and there are treats at the end of it all
    and a big latte to start
    and my ipod?

    ReplyDelete