Sunday, November 27, 2011

Care Package

Today I fulfilled a long-unattended-to responsibility that I didn't even know I had until a few months ago. The Daughter informed me in September that she has never (NEVER) received a care package from me while away at university. Who knew? I certainly didn't. No one ever told me. How does one find out about these things unless someone tells you? Apparently all (ALL) her friends at university have received care packageS (that's plural, more than one, many) from their parents over the 3 years they've all been away. The Daughter never mentioned it before. How was I to know? What do her friends (but not her) receive in these packages? Food, clothing, stuff for their rooms, toiletries, etc. I used to send care packages to her when she was away at summer camp. But I thought I had successfully completed that duty. Apparently not.

The Hubby and the Beamer

I recently had lunch with my friend Lydia who mentioned that she had sent lasagna to her son at university. Lasagna?! So Lydia obviously knew. Hello...did you not think to mention this to me before??? What happened to the sacred unspoken rule between parents: Stick Together! If one parent goes rogue, everyone suffers. This happened with loot bags at kids' birthday parties. They went from a few candies and maybe a toy from the dollar store to these over the top extravaganzas. And it all started because one parent lost control, forgot that we're all in this together. So now it seems that care packages to our children who are away at university is the accepted practice. I must follow my own advice and send one. But what I'm really thinking is: "Are you kidding me?!" Is it not enough that I'm paying for you to live away from me, far far away from home, supporting you to live your own life, make your own decisions, become a successful confident and accomplished young adult, thrive on your own without me? Apparently not.

The Adolescent touched a few before he found the Perfect One...sorry Daughter!

So my darling Daughter, you can look forward to a care package arriving in the mail in the next few days. It will be filled with cookies that were baked with love and short bursts of violence that were necessary to keep your father and brother from eating them all. Please accept them with my apologies for being a few years late. But feel good in knowing, now that this is public, that future university students living away from home will not have to suffer as you did for so long waiting for a package that never comes, although the care is always always present.

Chocolate Chunk Pecan Shortbread Cookies

 All my love, Mom


2 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!!!! This just made my day and I haven't even gotten them yet... can't wait, the cookies will definitely get me through the next two weeks of school until I come home! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps the Beamer just gets cuter every time I see him

    ReplyDelete