Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Mom and My Aunt

The Daughter with my Mom and Dad - 1991
I'm feeling sad. My mom passed away 15 years ago today. I still find it hard to believe that I've survived, and actually thrived, in a world that she hasn't been in.










My Mom, the Daughter, Auntie Anne - 1992


My mom loved babies and was so in love when the Daughter was born. I remember going to my parents' home late at night to collect the Daughter whom they had been babysitting. I would gently gather her up from the spare bedroom, quietly tip toe toward the front door in an attempt to get her home without waking. But I could never get her past her Po Po who could not stop herself from making goo goo with her beloved baby granddaughter, inevitably waking her up into full smiles and giggles. I used to get annoyed. Now I just yearn for that sweetness and connection once again.


Gung Gung, Po Po, the Adolescent, the Daughter - 1995

The Adolescent was under 2 years old when his Po Po died. He doesn't even remember her. He doesn't remember how he would toddle into her home, walk right up to where she was sitting in her compromised state, put his little hands on her knees, and how they would commune with each other in their own non verbal way. She would have been so proud of how he's grown into a polite, confident, handsome young man.

My mom never even met the Beamer. She would have really liked him. He has her dark dark eyes and lovely easy-going flexible disposition.


Me and Trish at Auntie Anne's 90th birthday party


Yesterday my mom's oldest sister passed away. My Auntie Anne. She was 91. She was a good aunt to me. I always knew I would find support and acceptance with Auntie Anne. She was the one we went to when our children were born and asked her to give them Chinese names. The Daughter's means Light of Her Ancestors, the Adolescent's means Refined and Scholarly Hero, and the Beamer's means Magnificent Hero.





Auntie Anne with Doug and Gordon on her 90th birthday


Out of 7 siblings, three are left now. How lonely they must feel. We will gather in Montreal next week for Auntie Anne's funeral. I will feel comforted by the presence of my extended family from far and wide. I will share my memories with my cousins Gordon and Doug who cared so tenderly and devotedly for their mother, particularly evident in the last few years of her life.

Rest in peace to these two beautiful sisters.  My Mom and my Auntie Anne.








1 comment:

  1. I love these photos. They are priceless. Sisters are so lucky to have one another!!

    ReplyDelete