Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Year So Far is Beige

The year so far has been underwhelming. Kind of beige. Tofu-like. White rice. Cream of Wheat-ish. I guess it's going to be hard to match last year. In 2011 I became a Cyclist. I clip in. I wear shorts with a padded butt. I ride 100km in one go. In 2011 I became a Blogger. I have followers (only 6...but still...). I post from far away places like Thailand and Vietnam. In 2011 I became a Photographer. The Daughter shared tips. I know (a little bit) about shutter speed and ISO. Aperture is my friend. The few pictures I've taken that are not fuzzy or dark are works of art! In 2011 I made delicious things with yeast. Donuts. Cinnamon buns. I learned about Twitter and opened an account. The Hubby taught me to play pool.

In 2012, so far, nothing. Absolutely nothing. And I'm not just talking about Doing something exciting. I would be happy with even just Thinking something exciting. I know it's only been 7 days into the New Year. But for me the start of the year is usually a time of inspiration, of grand ideas. This year my only New Year's Resolution is to make Croissants. And that's a carry over from last year. I'm worried I've lost my zest. I need some chartreuse. A shot of magenta.

The Daughter and the Adolescent aren't helping matters. I haven't yet figured out how to be graceful as I slide into parental colourlessness. I would like to be doing this with quiet dignity and elegance. But how do you get used to being demoted from the centre of your child's universe to one who is way down on the list of people whom they want to spend time with? I lie in bed at night unable to peacefully sleep until they get safely home. Shouldn't I be the one out late at night having fun? I used to be. Before I was beige.

There are no photos today. They'd probably be fuzzy anyway. I wonder what colour self-pity is?

No comments:

Post a Comment