Friday, December 30, 2011

Ringing out the Old

As we do every year, we take some time out after Christmas at a cottage in a snowy winter wonderland. When people ask us what we do during our week away there's never much to tell them. We do what we always do: Not Much.

Not Much involves a lot of euchre playing. The Daughter and I are the family Euchre Champions. And as this is MY blog, I can conveniently choose to forget to mention all the times that the Hubby and the Adolescent beat us. Those times are purely fluke.

The Beamer, the Daugher, the Adolescent, and me playing euchre

Not Much would not be complete without a lot of lazing around.

The Daughter and the Adolescent lazing around

It also means a soak in the hot tub.

The Adolescent, the Hubby, the Beamer, the Daughter, and the Boyfriend

A treasured tradition is the Family Walk which I force/threaten/bribe my family to do with me every day. Once they're out they always enjoy themselves. As I've said so many times before on these pages: why don't they just listen to me in the first place? Their lives would be so much easier and better.

The Hubby, the Beamer, Richard, Trish, Scarlett, the Boyfriend, and the Daughter

I cook...a lot. This, as you know, is unusual for me and not my preferred state. I did have one temper tantrum this week where I refused to make dinner because my efforts felt unappreciated. The Hubby readily agreed to cook instead. He didn't want to eat food tasting of resentment. But then, surprisingly, so unlike me, I couldn't let go of control and ended up doing it anyway. The result was Pasta with Provencal Vegetable Sauce and it was very tasty, bitterness and all.

Pasta with Provencal Vegetable Sauce

But as you know I've been trying to embrace change. Well maybe embrace is too strong a word. I'm trying to get a little more comfortable with change. This week it comes in the form of the Boyfriend. He has come up to spend a few days at the cottage with us. As when anyone new comes into your life they influence you to do things differently or do things you might never have considered before. The trick, I think, is to be open to the influence and not dismiss the opportunity however small it might seem.

The Daughter and the Boyfriend

The Boyfriend suggests an alternate walking route. We grumble but ultimately take the road less traveled. We discover great tobogganing hills which never would have been found if we had stayed with the tried and familiar. The Boyfriend leads by example and jumps from the hot tub and rolls in the snow in -10C weather. Others follow stupidly.

The Adolescent and the Boyfriend doing craziness

The Boyfriend and the Daughter make dinner one night. Burgers with bacon smothered with aged cheddar cheese and covered with carmelized apples and onions on sourdough bread. It's called The Johnny Appleseed Burger . Delicious! As hard as it is to give up control of the kitchen, I do, and actually think I could get used to someone cooking for me (once in a while).


The Johnny Appleseed Burger and sauteed potatoes

It's near the end of 2011. It's time for me to appreciate (and cling stubbornly to...just kidding...not really) all the old familiar things and look forward to the new things that lie ahead in the new year. Some I will bring on myself. Others will just present themselves if I'm smart enough to recognize the opportunity.



















No comments:

Post a Comment