Monday, March 12, 2012

From Mother to Daughter

I first tasted Anzac Biscuits about 15 years ago in New Zealand. My brother-in-law Richard's mother Anne was the baker of them. Anne generously gave me her recipe back then and I was inspired to resurrect it this weekend in honour of the visit from Australia of Richard's sister (and Anne's daughter) Angela and her family. However, a Canadian making an Australian specialty for Australians didn't seem appropriate. I instead make Apple Crisp, a recipe passed to me from my mother. It was a perfect end to an Indian inspired meal that Trish and Richard created after commandeering our kitchen. Now THIS is the way to entertain! Someone else cooks a delicious meal and my only responsibilities are my specialties: dessert and candles.

A treasured well-used recipe card written by my mother

Mothers passing along their recipes to secure a piece of themselves into the future. Recipes and wisdom. In addition to apple crisp, I learned many things from my mother. Prepare ahead of time for a dinner party. Drink lots of water. Keep a piece of paper towel on the floor of the kitchen while you're cooking to wipe up drips. Be suspicious of strangers.This last one seems a little random but it made a lasting impression.

No strangers here!


Angela, Doug and their daughter Alana bring us a bottle of champagne-style beer that they picked up on their way through Boston. It tastes like beer but lighter and with finer bubbles. As for the choice of wine, the Hubby is in a quandary. Australian wine served to Australians in Canada doesn't seem appropriate. So the Hubby picks some fine Ontario wines from Hillebrand Winery.

Doug and Angela, Richard and Trish

Alana, Scarlett, the Adolescent, the Beamer

Now back to the Anzac Biscuits. Although I'm not Anne's daughter, I'm the sister of Anne's DAUGHTER-in-law. Close enough! Scarlett is Anne's granddaughter and calls her "Ma". Even better. I will too! If I'm properly calculating my motherly responsibilities, the Daughter is due a second care package right about now (read about her first care package) . I will send her Anzac Biscuits passed from Ma to Mom to Daughter. These biscuits come out exactly as I remember them from 15 years ago when Ma made them. Crisp and crunchy with pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds.

Anzac Biscuits


However I want to show the Daughter that her mother doesn't just do the minimum. I go the extra mile. I also make Instant Ecstasy Chocolate Cookies from Karen Barnaby's cookbook Screamingly Good Food. There's hardly any flour in these cookies and lots of chocolate and pecans and almonds. They are soft and gooey and intensely chocolatey. The Adolescent is very appreciative that they all don't fit into the mailing container.

Rich and gooey chocolate delight


The Daughter is going to love both of these treats. She can savour them while she contemplates the lessons she learned from me. Say what you think. Your feelings are worth expressing. Relationships are hard work but always worth the effort. Don't trust anyone who doesn't eat dessert. She also learned that when she goes to the washroom at a restaurant to not leave her purse back at the table without someone watching out for it. You never know when a suspicious stranger is going to crawl under the table without your dinner mates noticing and steal it. From mother to daughter to daughter.

My Dad, the Hubby, Sinikka, Trish, the Beamer, the Adolescent, Angela and Doug

1 comment:

  1. WOOT WOOT!!! CARE PACKAGE!!!! I should have told you about them looonnggg ago back in first year haha. These treats will definitely get me through thesis interviews and papers *sigh* love you

    ReplyDelete