Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Hubby Bakes a Cake

The Hubby baking

The Hubby has invited our friends Mary, Mike and Paolo over for dinner to celebrate my birthday. The Hubby asks me the most important question first. What kind of cake do I want? In this, he is asking what kind of cake do I want him to buy. He is endearingly naive if he thinks I will be able to resist this opportunity to simultaneously control the situation while getting him to prove his love for me in one of the best ways I know how. I want him to bake! He blanches but recovers quickly. It is exquisite pleasure choosing the recipe. That in itself is almost enough. Almost.



I ask the Adolescent to work with his father on the cake. The Adolescent blanches. He does not recover. I bribe him. I tell him he doesn't have to give me any other gift. It doesn't work. The Hubby is on his own.

Paolo, Mary, the Adolescent, Mike, the Beamer, me
It's really difficult choosing the cake. I settle on one, but then change my mind. This goes on 5 more times! The Hubby mocks me. But there's a lot of pressure to choose the right cake. The last time the Hubby baked me a cake was 25 years ago (see Happy Birthday to Me)! If I'm getting one cake every 25 years I want to get it right! I finally settle on Lemon Layer Cake with Pineapple Filling. The Hubby is nervous. After 25 years he's kind of rusty. I suggest that he follow the recipe exactly. Baking is kind of like a science experiment. Until you have some experience under your belt it's best not to do your own thing or you never know what you might end up with.


It's very strange not being involved in the cake making. I distract myself with other activities and let the Hubby do his own thing.  I more or less succeed.

The Adolescent, Scarlett, Richard, Trish, my Dad, Sinikka, me, the Beamer
In amongst all this baking we are invited to Trish, Richard and Scarlett's home for a birthday dinner.  As usual, they outdo themselves. The feast includes osso bucco style short ribs, home made pasta, and a Spice Cake with Mocha Icing for the birthday cake.







Trish made me a birthday cake!



It's all so delicious. I feel very pampered and important and loved.











Lemon Layer Cake with Pineapple Filling


After 2 days of baking (on and off) the Hubby's cake is ready. He is proud of his achievement. He enjoyed the experience. He muses aloud that perhaps he will become a Baker. A what?! Dear Hubby, in the most loving way, I must tell you...Back Off! There's one Baker in the family and it is me. How would I bake back the Adolescent's love if he also had you to turn to for cookies, muffins, and cinnamon buns? And I would make the most terrible Kitchen Bitch. Too controlling. Our family could use a Knitter, or a Musician, or a Gardener. But we already have a Baker. Please please reconsider this most horrible idea.

The Daughter is away at university but joins us on Skype for the Cake

In spite of this looming crisis, I am totally impressed with the Hubby's cake. It is DELICIOUS! The cake is dense and lemony, perfectly paired with the pineapple filling and subtly flavoured lemony whip cream frosting. The Hubby adds his own flourish and garnishes the top with lemon zest. It is beautiful. It is a work of art. Worth the wait of 25 years! Thank you Hubby for this most loving birthday gift.

1 comment:

  1. It was LOT'S of fun and you are well worth it! We should not wait another 25 years for the next one.

    ReplyDelete