Friday, December 23, 2011

Mothers-in-Law

We all know the stereotype of the woman who can't bear to see her precious son giving his love to another woman so makes life hell for the daughter-in-law. My own mother-in-law, the Original, was one of these women. She had four boys and loved them all fiercely. No woman was good enough for any of them.

I fear that I have the potential to become such a woman. The Adolescent has only had one girlfriend (that I know of) when he was 12. And I didn't really like her all that much. She was demeaning of her own mother. And was never really warm toward me. When I asked him what he liked about her he said "Everything". I knew he was at risk to get his heart broken by her. And she did. Bitch. I give myself hope by recognizing that I haven't had much practice yet so hopefully I'll get it right by the time it's necessary.

Me, the Beamer, the Hubby, Great Aunt Helen, the III
I could use as my role model my Mother-in-Law III. She's actually now divorced from the Hubby's father so is actually my ex-step-mother-in-law. The III knew how to do the mother-in-law thing. She liked me right from the Hubby's first date with me. She was a doting grandmother to our children, treating them indistinguishably from her own biological grandchildren. Even as her marriage to the Hubby's father was breaking down her love for us never wavered. Unfortunately we don't see each other as much now because of the logistical and political challenges that divorces bring. But I know that she will always be in our lives.

Note the feathers


Tonight we are invited to the III's home for dinner to celebrate Christmas together. Great Aunt Helen is visiting from St. Catharines. At one point during the evening the Hubby needs tools for something manly that he's doing. The last time the Hubby was called upon to find his hammer he couldn't. He had to hang his head in manly shame. The III finds her tools in no time. They are adorned with feathers and rhinestones. The Hubby bangs away as the boa feathers tickle his nose.



Made with love from scratch
For many years after the III's divorce she was figuring out how to live by herself again. She wasn't inspired to cook only for herself so ended up eating a lot of frozen dinners. Recently the Domestic Goddess in her has been awakened and we benefit! For tonight's dessert she makes a Chocolate Salted Caramel Layer Cake. From scratch. The last time she baked a cake from scratch was before cake mixes were invented! It is delicious. The chocolate cake is dense and intense but not too sweet. The icing is rich and luxurious with little Skor bits and fleur de sel sprinkled on top. The perfect special occasion cake.


The III and her Labour of Love

But she doesn't stop there. She also makes Billy Goat cookies. Delicious and crispy with pecans and toffee bits. She makes chocolate covered wafer bark. Her freezer is stocked with homemade borscht, spaghetti sauce, and stew. Domestic Goddess reborn! I feel pampered. I feel doted on. I appreciate the effort and care that the III put into making this feast for us. A role model for all Mothers-in-Law.

Food is Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment