Friday, December 16, 2011

New Traditions

Proscuitto, goat cheese, and veggie pizza

The Daughter has many many wonderful and endearing qualities, some of which I've described in these postings. But one annoying habit is that she points out all the long standing family practices that have gone astray since she went away to university. I love traditions. Particularly those that bring the family together. Friday night pizza was a weekly ritual. Every Friday night was the same. We'd order in pizza and eat it while watching a movie together. All 5 of us. Together. Ahhh! I really don't like change. But as we all know change is inevitable and everywhere. Friday night pizza was the perfect balm for me. We ordered from the same pizzeria. We ordered the exact same ingredients. Every single Friday night. We all looked forward to it. We would decline other invitations. Nothing got in the way of Friday night pizza. But then the Daughter went away for school and wasn't here on Friday nights anymore. The Adolescent matured (a euphemism for "thinks his parents are extremely annoying and would rather be with his friends"). The Beamer continues to like Friday night pizza. But he likes everything. I realize that one has to change or risk becoming obsolete. So tonight the Hubby and I will still have our same pizza from our same pizzeria. But we'll have it late after the Beamer goes to bed. We'll have it by ourselves because the Daughter is out at the bar with her friends and the Adolescent is at his part-time job. We'll still eat it while watching a movie. But it will be a grown up movie. I guess it'll have to do.



Chocolate truffles in progress

My friend Treasure discovered a blog written by a 19 year old young woman about her adventures in baking. She has a bucket list of 30 things that she wants to make. Over 2 years she's already made about half of what's on her list. Croissants are on her list. They're on my list too. Chocolate truffles are on her list. Chocolate truffles can be crossed off mine.






 
A truffle just before the final roll in cocoa powder
 
Treasure and I had a BakeFest. We made chocolate truffles. They are easy to make but take some time due to the chilling needed between the various steps. We made our truffles with 70% dark chocolate. I might make them again with a less intense chocolate (50 - 60%) if I want them slightly sweeter and silkier.







Crushed candy cane is sprinkled on top of the chocolate shortbread

We also made Peppermint and White Chocolate Covered Chocolate Shortbread. These were a big hit.







Lemon slice and bake cookies






Lemon Slice and Bake Cookies were not as popular as the chocolate goodies but delicious just the same.












I'm hoping that Treasure will participate with me in the upcoming Croissant BakeFest. It will make up for the pain I feel at not making gingerbread houses at Christmas anymore. Change or be changed.

To new traditions!






No comments:

Post a Comment