Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brownies Meant to Be

Dinner just wasn't meant to be. The cold that I'd been fending off all week flourished on Friday night so Saturday morning we made the difficult decision to cancel our dinner party for that night.

I don't think I believe in destiny but it really makes me wonder about things that are "meant to be" given all the circumstances that aligned so that it was inevitable that that dinner was not going to take place on Saturday (see Kitchen Goddess).

I spend Saturday languishing on my chaise lounge, surrounded by kleenex, magazines, and Advil Cold and Sinus. Anything I eat is tasteless. Freshly squeezed orange juice...could be water with little bits of stuff in it for all my tastebuds know. A piece of rich gorgeous 70% dark chocolate...absolutely nothing. What a waste. However, I can't keep my eyes off the cover of the February Bon Appetit magazine. These amazing looking brownies.

Today I feel better but decide not to go to spin class. The Hubby goes by himself. I feel like I've given him a little gift to be able to go to the new espresso bar afterward and gush over the owner's baking that is the best he's ever tasted without the burden of my eye-rolling. But while he is gone, maybe it's my competitive spirit, but I suddenly have the urge to bake those brownies (see Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts).

These brownies are made by hand - no mixing machine. Two eggs must be beaten into the batter one at a time. The instructions are to vigorously beat after each egg. I forget to factor in weakness from too much languishing. Nearly does me in. After I add the flour I'm again instructed to beat the batter for 60 strokes - vigorously. A little warning about the physical requirements of this dessert would have been nice. A disclaimer in the beginning cautioning prospective bakers of the need for good health and a high level of arm fitness. I call on the Adolescent to help me but he's cuddling with the Beamer...(and this is why I keep on baking for him)...

Brotherly love


So I have to dole out my vigor bit by bit but at last they are ready for the oven. They take way longer to bake than the recipe suggests, a whole 12 mins longer, but they eventually are ready and they're beautiful.

Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts


The Adolescent doesn't like them. He wanted Cinnamon Buns instead. But when he sees my face he realizes the mistake he's made so VIGOROUSLY tries to back-pedal but it's SOOO way too late.

The Hubby returns from spin class and looks deeply satisfied. Yes he stopped by the espresso bar and had a latte and a pecan tart. He tries one of my brownies. He says they're the best he's ever tasted. I choose to believe him. It's been a long week. 


3 comments:

  1. Finally!!! A rich, chocolatey, sugar-laden dessert! It's not coffee crunch bars, but brownies are...well, they're brownies! I will try these this weekend...but as a side note...and inspiration for your next blog, the bob apetite site had a message that these brownies are actually the world's best...Try them...maybe the adolescent will be appreciative...and if not, I'm sure you have friends that appreciate the whole world goodness that is brownies.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Triple-Chocolate-Fudge-Brownies-13641

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks AMAZING!! Please send me some in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good!!! Your niece wants some now! So sorry you were under the weather on the weekend... We are having a snow day today (2 girls + 2 cats) - hmmm, maybe we'll try some baking????!! Watch out!!!

    ReplyDelete