Monday, January 17, 2011

Sad and Sorry 3!

I resolve that the next post I publish will be about positive developments.

But first...

The Hubby confesses he hasn't even read my last two posts. My own hubby!

I think he's too busy stalking the girl at the new espresso bar in our neighbourhood.

We both really love our coffee. Our favourite place is Starbucks. Even our kids are hooked. One day over the holidays, while at the cottage up north, someone expressed a fleeting fantasy of having a Starbucks coffee. Within seconds someone had investigated it and discovered that the nearest Starbucks was a 40 min drive away. In the next second the Daughter offered to drive. A mere half second later the Hubby and several other junkies were in the car armed with the coffee order. TWO HOURS later they were back (they got lost on the way there). None of us questioned the sanity of it all. We just really enjoyed those coffees.

These are them


But back to recent developments. Yesterday, the Hubby went to the new espresso bar for the first time after spin class, walking right past the Starbucks to do so. He likes to support local business. He got an espresso. It's the best coffee he's ever had. He chats with the young woman who owns the place (he's naturally a friendly sociable guy). She just opened it 3 months ago. She does all her own baking on the premises. She convinces him to try one of her butter tarts. He eats it when he gets home. It's the best butter tart he's ever had. He CALLS HER to tell her (a little unusual but still nice). It makes her day. He GOES BACK there this morning (verging on creepy). She gives him a banana loaf (her bestseller) to try. It's the best banana loaf he's ever had. With trepidation I ask: did you call her to tell her (I don't want to have to put any narrative in these brackets!)? Thankfully, he refrained.

But I know he wants to. Because that's what baking does to you.

3 comments:

  1. I have a fond ancient memory of coffee crunch bars...MMM so delicious...that's what baking does for you all right... I think you should make some...THEN POST THE RECIPE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have to go WITH A STORY!!! I can't just make them and post the recipe...what do you think I am...a baking machine??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K This is the hubby. So, I'm NOT stalking the new espresso bar owner, I just like to reward the entrepreneurial spirit of a new business owner. And the butter tart was, quite simply, the best butter tart I have ever tasted, as was the coffee and the banana loaf (which she offered to me for free!) so I don't think that she thinks I am creepy. I think I will enjoy a butter tart and latte after our spin class (but without the stalking!) every Sunday since the new espresso bar is across the street from our spin studio. The owner is this lovely young person (probably less than half my age!).
    I have now read my wife's blog in its' entirety (all 4 or 5 pages of it) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend it to the masses. I will endeavour to keep current. Until my next comment, keep writing about all those wonderful dishes you are not cooking.

    ReplyDelete